By Sebastian Fedden
Mian is an endangered non-Austronesian ('Papuan') language of the okay kinfolk spoken within the Highlands fringe in western Papua New Guinea via nearly 1,400 audio system. This grammar is the 1st accomplished description of the language with targeted research of tone, gender and clause chaining. The research is predicated on basic box facts recorded through the writer. The booklet features a choice of absolutely glossed and translated texts and a notice list.
Winner of the 2013 ALT Gabelentz Award
Read or Download A Grammar of Mian PDF
Best communication books
A part of a sequence of pocket courses geared toward permitting the reader to profit a brand new ability in exactly half-hour, this article is full of rules and recommendation on find out how to enhance your oral and written conversation abilities.
In a single of the main politically unstable and dynamic areas of the realm, new media applied sciences are profoundly influencing the process events. satellite tv for pc tv and the web are affecting how the folks and states of the center East functionality separately and in an international context. In New Media and the recent center East, themes starting from women's rights to terrorism and nations from Israel to Saudi Arabia are tested when it comes to how new media are reshaping lives and politics.
This quantity unites papers in speech conversation and language improvement which have been provided as a extensive interdisciplinary spectrum of all elements of vocal conversation at a Symposium held in honor of Bjorn Lindblom. those papers care for the acoustic patterning of speech, its perceptual processing, the biology of conversation, and motor techniques, together with animal conversation, language acquisition in addition to sound constructions within the languages of the realm.
- Global Entertainment Media: Content, Audiences, Issues (Lea's Communication Series) (Lea's Communication Series)
- Everything You Need to Know About Effective Communication at School and at Work (Need to Know Library)
- Human Communication Theory
- Opportunities and Challenges for Community Development: Volume 1: Information and Communication Technologies for Development in Africa (Information and ... Technologies for Development in Africa)
Extra resources for A Grammar of Mian
1. 6 Such a distinction is not found in any of the other Mountain Ok languages, which all have a single form nu(u)- or no-, but, for example, in the Lowland Ok language Ninggerum, which has ni ‘we (EXCL)’ and nib ‘we (INCL)’7 (Healey 1964a: 67). I mentioned above that the position of Ngalum within Ok is unclear. Healey tentatively classifies Ngalum as belonging to a Division C within Mountain Ok but considers it possible that Ngalum constitutes a third subfamily besides Mountain and Lowland Ok.
3 below for further discussion of this point). Vowels and diphthongs behave identically as nuclei in syllables, which are the tone-bearing units in tone assignment. Both can function as a syllable nucleus and both can be assigned one tone. 2. Vowels 29 concatenation often create vowel clusters whose status as single phonemes is doubtful. In this analysis, I accept as phonemic only diphthongs which occur (also) in lexical stems and do not only exist due to morpheme concatenation. g. éil ‘pig’. In the rest of this grammar the term ‘vowel’ is always meant to include the diphthongs unless otherwise specified.
Whereas the work of preparing food is mainly in the hands of the women, the work of procuring food is divided between the sexes. While the Brought to you by | New York University Bobst Library Technical Services Authenticated Download Date | 10/16/15 4:09 PM 14 1. The language and its speakers women spend more time in the gardens, it is exclusively the men who hunt large animals, such as pigs and cassowaries. The women are responsible for supplementing the diet with small animals like reptiles and rodents.
- Dialogic Semiosis: An Essay on Signs and Meanings by Jorgen Dines Johansen
- Speech Acoustics and Phonetics: Selected Writings (Text, by Gunnar Fant